When contacting an official or their aide, try to stay positive and polite. Avoid name calling and being rude. Prepare a statement, and bring photographs to support your claim, whether testifying and exparte.
Marina Del Rey
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOiBNlfbfQ 10 minutes
1. Public Hearings on Fiji Way's Basin H Free Public Parking Lot 52, Parcel FF, Parcel 9U, Pier 44 and Fisherman's Village offer a rare opportunity to publicly define current recreational needs of Los Angeles County.
2. Public Hearings on the 2016 Local Coastal Plan Amendment offer a once in five years opportunity to identify the Environmental Impacts of pollutants from proposed expansion so close to the Ballona Wetlands.
3. Los Angeles County spent 2 million dollars of taxpayer money lobbying the California Coastal Commission to Amend the last Local Coastal Plan to change the ESHA (Environmentally Sensitive Habitat Area) designation that protected mature trees, Monarch Butterflies and Heron Rookeries. We need to correct this at the Coastal Commission this year.
4. The Ballona Watershed flood plain covers large areas of the Marina. Sea level rise, a tsunami, or a huge storm event could flood the lower Ballona Watershed creating wide-spread property damage, road closures and loss of life. Tsunami warnings are posted in the Marina.
5. Ownership of these 950 acres of Marina del Rey Land has been contentious. Hotels, condos, apartments, stores, boat slips and yacht clubs are all on long-term land leases of 50-60 years. The County continues to eliminate parking lots / park set asides for development.
6. Some have expired, some have been renewed, and others are in contention.6. Opposition to Proposed Development Projects has grown among residents, recreational boaters, bicyclists, bird watchers, fisherman, walkers, runners and environmentalist.
7. Millions of dollars in public funds were spent to acquire land, dredge the channel, widen our beach 450 feet for 5.5 miles, create a small craft harbor, provide fishing, swimming, recreation and wildlife opportunities for the people of LA. Funding was provided U.S. Congress U.S. Congress, Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County in almost equal parts.
8. U.S. Congress Documents 389 and 780 defined Oxford Lagoon Bird Sanctuary as 41.9 acres. Only 10.7 acres were actually set aside.
9. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged the Channel and the 12 small craft harbor basins. Funding for continual maintenance of the Channel is appropriated by U.S. Congress.
10. Water sustains all life, without it all living things perish. 90% of all our wetlands in Southern California have been built on or paved over. We have done this at our peril.
11. Over development threatens Via Marina, Fiji Way and Admiralty Way: Wetland Meadow Parcel 9U, Mariners Village old growth trees, cormorants and heron rookery on Via Marina; Dock 52, Parcel FF, and Fisherman's Village on Fiji Way; and, Pier 44 on Admiralty Way.
12. Los Angeles imports around 85% of its water from over 200 miles away. It uses 30% of its state electrical power to deliver this water.
Marina Del Rey Related Material
MUST SEE: YouTube Fly-Over of Marina del Rey and the Ballona Wetlands to help the California Coastal Commission, residents of Los Angeles City and County, elected officials and agencies better understand the lower Ballona Watershed by Jeanette Vosburg, GrassrootsCoalition.org 310-721-3512.
WATCH VIDEO of COUNTY PARKS NEEDS ASSESSMENT of the Marina - Burton Chace Park 1.30.16. Participants expressed a desire to have more parks and habitat areas at the Marina. While the Assessment focused on local resident needs, several speakers were concerned with County Wide use of the Marina. They referred to U.S. Congress' definition of the purpose of taking 950 acres of Ballona Wetlands for a Small Boat Harbor and Recreation area in 1954 Documents 389 and 780.
KEEP FREE public recreational parking, DON'T BUILD Boat Central.
KEEP public access to the public boat ramp, commercial fishing boats, whale watching, groups meeting for long-distance bike rides, runs, walks to Manhattan Beach, Malibu, Santa Monica, etc.
This area should be reserved for public recreational facilities, not commercial development.
Parcel 9U is part of the Marina Del Rey Over-Development. In the last 60 years, public recreation and the initial 6000 boat slips have shrunk in favor of commercial businesses, hotels, condos, and apartments on leased land Los Angeles County asserts it owns. With each new lease, more recreational area and parking set aside for either parks or parking lots have disappeared.
PREPARING FOR RESTORATION BALLONA WETLANDS ECOLOGICAL RESERVE
Youtube Video Library and Links
HELP SAVE OUR PLANET: Share our YouTubes with friends, family and agencies.