Elected and agency officials, developers and counsel should take notice that they may be liable under these enforcement provisions of the Clean Water Act: Direct Discharge.
Marina Del Rey
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOiBNlfbfQ 10 minutes
1. Public Hearings on Fiji Way's Basin H Free Public Parking Lot 52, Parcel FF, Parcel 9U, Pier 44 and Fisherman's Village offer a rare opportunity to publicly define current recreational needs of Los Angeles County.
2. Public Hearings on the 2016 Local Coastal Plan Amendment offer a once in five years opportunity to identify the Environmental Impacts of pollutants from proposed expansion so close to the Ballona Wetlands.
3. Los Angeles County spent 2 million dollars of taxpayer money lobbying the California Coastal Commission to Amend the last Local Coastal Plan to change the ESHA (Environmentally Sensitive Habitat Area) designation that protected mature trees, Monarch Butterflies and Heron Rookeries. We need to correct this at the Coastal Commission this year.
4. The Ballona Watershed flood plain covers large areas of the Marina. Sea level rise, a tsunami, or a huge storm event could flood the lower Ballona Watershed creating wide-spread property damage, road closures and loss of life. Tsunami warnings are posted in the Marina.
5. Ownership of these 950 acres of Marina del Rey Land has been contentious. Hotels, condos, apartments, stores, boat slips and yacht clubs are all on long-term land leases of 50-60 years. The County continues to eliminate parking lots / park set asides for development.
6. Some have expired, some have been renewed, and others are in contention.6. Opposition to Proposed Development Projects has grown among residents, recreational boaters, bicyclists, bird watchers, fisherman, walkers, runners and environmentalist.
7. Millions of dollars in public funds were spent to acquire land, dredge the channel, widen our beach 450 feet for 5.5 miles, create a small craft harbor, provide fishing, swimming, recreation and wildlife opportunities for the people of LA. Funding was provided U.S. Congress U.S. Congress, Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County in almost equal parts.
8. U.S. Congress Documents 389 and 780 defined Oxford Lagoon Bird Sanctuary as 41.9 acres. Only 10.7 acres were actually set aside.
9. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged the Channel and the 12 small craft harbor basins. Funding for continual maintenance of the Channel is appropriated by U.S. Congress.
10. Water sustains all life, without it all living things perish. 90% of all our wetlands in Southern California have been built on or paved over. We have done this at our peril.
11. Over development threatens Via Marina, Fiji Way and Admiralty Way: Wetland Meadow Parcel 9U, Mariners Village old growth trees, cormorants and heron rookery on Via Marina; Dock 52, Parcel FF, and Fisherman's Village on Fiji Way; and, Pier 44 on Admiralty Way.
12. Los Angeles imports around 85% of its water from over 200 miles away. It uses 30% of its state electrical power to deliver this water.
Marina Del Rey Related Material
Won't the Fresh Water Marsh and Vernal Pool on Parcel 9U be polluted if the developer pipes in polluted sea water from Basin B as proposed.
Click on the below link to download the PDF for printing at your location:
Request Hearing US Army Corps of Engineers about 8 story Boat Central
Action Item For Activitist: Oppose bringing polluted salt water from Basin B into the Ballona Marsh on Via Marina. It is home to Vernal Pool. Send a comment USPS letter to the address below: Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board, 320 W. 4th Street, Suite 200,Los Angeles, CA 9001, Attn: 401 Certification Unit. Section 401 Water Quality Certification process of the EPA is underway now for File No: 15-080.
We have added to our website, for your consideration, a page linking to a scientific publication article, to motivate an understanding to preserve any and all wetlands, whether it's now a stop over point for a migrating bird, or not.
Published Article Title:
Protected areas and global conservation of migratory birds
The EPA California Branch keeps track of "impaired" water bodies and their pollutants for the purpose of preventing future impairment, and cleaning existing impaired water bodies.
This CalEPA web section has all sorts of data, past reports, maps, lists, and contact data to report local efforts that move us in the wrong direction.
This url last visited on November 20, 2015.
What you will find on this page. ROE is "Report On The Environment" encompassing yearly statistics on the 'size' of USA's wetlands, as they decrease by over 85% (as of 2015).
What are the trends in the extent and condition of wetlands and their effects on human health and the environment?
- Purchase federal duck stamps from your local post office to support wetland acquisition. 98% goes to buy wetlands!!!
- USA Fish and Game - http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/DSOfactsheet2012.pdf
- Duck Stamp Program History: https://www.fws.gov/birds/get-involved/duck-stamp/history-of-the-federal...
FISHERMAN'S VILLAGE COMMENTS taken from the web:
Why can't we spruce up the existing buildings in Fisherman's Village and focus on a view of the Ballona Wetlands on the other side of Fiji? Don't we have enough commercial? I'd rather see herons! Anonymous
I just went there with my kids for the first time in like 20 years, and I was amazed at how unchanged it was. I rather liked it, frankly. These renderings look like nothing but a big array of parking structures." Anonymous
Tag Cloud Items
Soeul, South Korea
PROPOSED BALLONA LEVEES ENDANGER WILDLIFE, OBSCURE VIEWS.
Controversial Ca. State Plan to Dig Out & Bury Ballona under massive new levees.
Since the early 1990's Patricia McPherson of Grassroots Coalition (GC) has been involved in assuring the disclosure of health and safety information related to the Playa del Rey / SoCalGas / Sempra Energy. This is a limited list of GC involvement to assist you in understanding the dangers at the PDR Underground Gas Storage Field.
ACTIVISTS PREVAIL IN CAMPAIGN TO CAP BALLONA STORM DRAINS
Supervisor Janice Hahn's Remarks at Board of Supervisors’ Meeting May 30, 2017 Item 10, “Regional Water Resilience Planning, Outreach and Engagement Stormwater Capture Plan”.
We have used Google's MyMaps embedded in a web page feature to allow you to zoom and pan on our website. Click on a PlaceMark to view a side bar with a photo. And click on the photo for a larger image or the film strip for Quick Time movie. Also, view the entire map larger by clicking on the Four Corner Icon in the upper right corner.