Community Garden's offer a unique opportunity for fresh food and networking with neighbors. Check out Farm Scape Gardens to germinate new ideas on eating organic foods and working as a community. http://farmscapegardens.com
Marina Del Rey
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOiBNlfbfQ 10 minutes
1. Public Hearings on Fiji Way's Basin H Free Public Parking Lot 52, Parcel FF, Parcel 9U, Pier 44 and Fisherman's Village offer a rare opportunity to publicly define current recreational needs of Los Angeles County.
2. Public Hearings on the 2016 Local Coastal Plan Amendment offer a once in five years opportunity to identify the Environmental Impacts of pollutants from proposed expansion so close to the Ballona Wetlands.
3. Los Angeles County spent 2 million dollars of taxpayer money lobbying the California Coastal Commission to Amend the last Local Coastal Plan to change the ESHA (Environmentally Sensitive Habitat Area) designation that protected mature trees, Monarch Butterflies and Heron Rookeries. We need to correct this at the Coastal Commission this year.
4. The Ballona Watershed flood plain covers large areas of the Marina. Sea level rise, a tsunami, or a huge storm event could flood the lower Ballona Watershed creating wide-spread property damage, road closures and loss of life. Tsunami warnings are posted in the Marina.
5. Ownership of these 950 acres of Marina del Rey Land has been contentious. Hotels, condos, apartments, stores, boat slips and yacht clubs are all on long-term land leases of 50-60 years. The County continues to eliminate parking lots / park set asides for development.
6. Some have expired, some have been renewed, and others are in contention.6. Opposition to Proposed Development Projects has grown among residents, recreational boaters, bicyclists, bird watchers, fisherman, walkers, runners and environmentalist.
7. Millions of dollars in public funds were spent to acquire land, dredge the channel, widen our beach 450 feet for 5.5 miles, create a small craft harbor, provide fishing, swimming, recreation and wildlife opportunities for the people of LA. Funding was provided U.S. Congress U.S. Congress, Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County in almost equal parts.
8. U.S. Congress Documents 389 and 780 defined Oxford Lagoon Bird Sanctuary as 41.9 acres. Only 10.7 acres were actually set aside.
9. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged the Channel and the 12 small craft harbor basins. Funding for continual maintenance of the Channel is appropriated by U.S. Congress.
10. Water sustains all life, without it all living things perish. 90% of all our wetlands in Southern California have been built on or paved over. We have done this at our peril.
11. Over development threatens Via Marina, Fiji Way and Admiralty Way: Wetland Meadow Parcel 9U, Mariners Village old growth trees, cormorants and heron rookery on Via Marina; Dock 52, Parcel FF, and Fisherman's Village on Fiji Way; and, Pier 44 on Admiralty Way.
12. Los Angeles imports around 85% of its water from over 200 miles away. It uses 30% of its state electrical power to deliver this water.
Tag Cloud Items
Watch Jeanette Vosburg Speaking to the Culver City, CA Garden Club About Capturing and Reusing Rain Water for Your Trees, Plants and Garden. ALSO, permeable pavers, grass removal, swales
WATCH VIDEO of COUNTY PARKS NEEDS ASSESSMENT of the Marina - Burton Chace Park 1.30.16. Participants expressed a desire to have more parks and habitat areas at the Marina. While the Assessment focused on local resident needs, several speakers were concerned with County Wide use of the Marina. They referred to U.S. Congress' definition of the purpose of taking 950 acres of Ballona Wetlands for a Small Boat Harbor and Recreation area in 1954 Documents 389 and 780.
Go to the Youtube page containing the video and click and copy as follows in purple mark up.
1) Click on Share - 3 new tabs appear: "Share Embed Email"
2) Click on Embed - appearing is a field with automatically highlighted text (the needed iframe html code for embed).
3) Menu bar item "Edit -> Copy" to capture into local copy/paste buffer, for pasting into the web page body.
Scroll down to continue to 2nd image and it's instructions.
Showing 1 to 121 of 121 entries as of February 2016
Where to see list of Broken Links: Click this URL -> http://saveballona.org/admin/reports/linkchecker
Also, available via Drupal Admin Menu item "Reports -> Broken Lists pulldown menu item"
You will see a list of rows, each row similar to the below. To fix the link, most times, one Edits The Node(s) by clicking on the supplied links in the right hand column. See below the red circled links and text.
Marina Del Rey Parcel 44 at end of Basin, is U shaped.